Rehabilitation medicine department is a field of medicine that is responsible for increasing the physical, mental and social functions of people that have been deteriorated due to various diseases and damages caused by cerebral hemorrhage, cerebral infarction, diabetes, cancer, car accidents and industrial accidents. Through appropriate diagnosis, assessment and treatment, the functions of patients are improved, ultimately, improving the quality of the patient’s life. Chosun University Hospital’s Rehabilitation medicine department puts in the best efforts to treat patients under specialized treatment categories which include strokes, spinal injury, cerebral palsy, neuromuscular diseases, fracture and amputation pain, heart, lung diseases and sports prescription for sports rehabilitation. It is comprised of 2 professors, 4 specialists, nurses, physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, sports therapist, social welfare staff, providing integrated treatment.
- Comprehensive rehabilitation treatment which includes speech therapy, occupational therapy and sports therapy are provided in order to recover the paralyzed functions of patients who have suffered a stroke or brain damage and to reduce complications.
- In order to recover the function of patients suffering from acute spinal cord injury fast, to recover the lost function to the maximum and to maximize the muscular strength after injury, assistant devices and consultation that are required for rehabilitation are provided.
- Neuro electromyography examination is conducted for pain and neuromuscular diseases to evaluate the status of the patient’s nerves and muscles. Special physical therapy, injection technique and high-tech physical therapy devices are used for efficient treatment of pain and education on the correct postures in daily life is also included in the treatment.
- Sports health rehabilitation conducts rehabilitation treatment and education for a healthy life so that people who enjoy various sports as well as professional sports players can maintain their health. Scientific and systematic examinations such as isokinetic exercise assessment with regards to sports injury and exercise stress examination of cardio pulmonary function and sports rehabilitation are provided along with sports prescription in order to minimize damage and to recovery quickly.
Main treatment room
- Physical treatment – Treatment that allows patients to recover the normal physical functions and easy rehabilitation by using tools after disease or injury.
- Sports treatment – Through specialized rehabilitation sports treatment, the paralyzed muscles are strengthened, the entire body’s stamina is enhanced and the usage ability of physical senses which are used for sports are improved so that patients are able to move efficiently, allowing them to return to the daily life.
- Occupational treatment – Treatment that maximizes independency of people with physical damages, cognitive disorder, psychosocial disorder, development disorder and other disorders, thus enhancing the functions, maintaining and promoting health while preventing disorders.
- Speech treatment – Speech ability evaluation and speech treatment are conducted for patients suffering from aphasia, delay in speech development and balbuties caused by various diseases or damages.
- Electromyography – This examination, classified into electromyography and needle electromyography analyzes the electric signals in muscle and nerves, identifying abnormalities in neuromuscular junctions and muscles. As for special examinations, somatosensory evoked potential, motor evoked potential and others are used to analyze the electric signals from brain cortex which assists the rehabilitation treatment of patients suffering from damage in central nervous system.
- Sonogram on musculoskeletal system – Sonogram on musculoskeletal system refers to sonogram which diagnoses abnormalities in structures of musculoskeleton that moves in our body, such as joints, cartilage, ligament, tendon, bursa, muscle and nerves. In particular, it is useful in diagnosing soft-tissue diseases excluding the bone and it does not use radiation so it is not harmful to the body.
- Exercise stress examination – Exercise stress examination is a close examination that measures the electrocardiogram (EKG) and respiratory gas (oxygen and carbon dioxide concentration) while walking or running on a treadmill. It predicts the degree of danger in cardio pulmonary function which may arise during exercise. It also assesses items related to various cardio pulmonary functions such as the heart’s exercise ability, lung ventilation ability, energy consumption and maximal oxygen intake. It also provides exercise prescription according to the cardio pulmonary function of individuals.
- Basic fitness examination – This examination assesses various health related stamina elements and standards, presenting the biological age and by setting a feasible target, the appropriate exercise treatment is offered.
- Musculoskeletal function examination – This examination safely measures the maximum exercise ability of each joint and by comparing the left and right muscle ability considering the age and gender, the musculoskeletal status is objectively evaluated, setting the correct degree of muscular exercises.
Professor Kim Gwon Yeong, Professor Gang Jeong Hoon, Professor Choi Dae Woo, general practitioner